Wednesday, July 6, 2011

10 years of teaching - 10 things I have learned

I just completed my first of 10 years of teaching. 1/3 of my professional career is done... That's a daunting thought! You'd think I would be smarter than I am after all that time, but I still make stupid mistakes, put my foot in my mouth and step on people toes all too much. For all of that, I have learned a few things...

1) Relationships matter more than anything else.
2) Inspiration and fun are intimately related.
3) Great principals DO make a difference.
4) Great team members can excite you.
5) Correct and Reflect 
6) Be prepared for ups and downs
7) No surprises
8) If you don't love what you are doing.... do something else
9) Teaching is more than standing in front of a class... be a school teacher
10) What I have learned part 10: Mentorship leads to innovation

I will be doing a series on these points over the summer. Kind of a way to keep my mind active and reflect on the last 10 years of my life!

-Browner

2 comments:

  1. Browner -
    Interesting post!

    I don't know if I ever told you but you inspired me to start my own blog! Let me know what you think!
    http://teaching-matters.posterous.com/
    Maybe I'll write a post about what I learned after ONE year of teaching!! It would be interesting to compare the two!

    I know you messaged me on Twitter a long time ago and I really did try to message you back, but turns out that you can't direct message people who DON'T follow you!! So maybe you should follow me!

    Amy Walker =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list resonated with me...u have lots of greatness to come. Thanks for the insight . Look forward to the summer posts.

    Aron Campbell
    WVSD #45

    ReplyDelete